||EXECUTIVE CAREER SERVICES (ECS) |
JOB OPENING LISTING
William J. Roman, ECS Chairman
tel (508) 627-4361 fax (508) 627-7565
BIDDEFORD POOL YACHT CLUB, Biddeford Pool, Maine
YACHT CLUB MANAGER
Biddeford Pool Yacht Club is a small, 125 family, private club on Saco Bay, about 20 miles south of Portland, Maine. The Club is located in the village of Biddeford Pool, a small, coastal community which features a two-mile sandy beach, great natural beauty and a strong sailing tradition. Biddeford Pool is within 10 minutes of Kennebunkport, 1/2 hour of Portland, and 2 hours of Boston. BPYC hosts a vibrant sailing program for youths and adults, members and non-members from the City of Biddeford. Beginners sail in fleets of Vanguard Prams and Turnabouts, while more advanced sailors sail Lasers, 420's and a fleet of Rhodes 18's. BPYC is a friendly sailing club focused on providing good service to our members and guests. It provides quality boating access and teaches future generations safe sailing with an emphasis on seamanship. More detailed information about the Yacht Club may be found at the Club’s web site: www.biddefordpool.org/bpyc/
The Biddeford Pool Yacht Club, Biddeford Pool, Maine, is seeking a General Manager. The General Manager reports to the officers of the Yacht Club, and is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Yacht Club during its operating season of 14 weeks between approximately June 15th and September 15th, with full-time but somewhat lesser responsibilities between May 1 and June 15 to open the Club and between Sept. 15 and October 31 to close the club. During the off-season, the General Manager approves and categorizes invoices for the bookkeeper, attends meetings of Trustees, and handles hiring of staff for the following season.
General responsibilities include:
- Hiring and managing subordinate seasonal launch drivers and contractors
- Opening the club in the spring and closing the club in the fall, which involves:
- Launching and hauling floats and moving club-owned boats to or from winter storage with assistance from staff or contractors
- Coordinating the winterizing and commissioning club-owned boats and member boats stored on the Yacht Club property
- Preparing clubhouse and grounds for the season or for winter storage
- Interface with the Club officers, trustees, and members
- Assisting with the implementation of Yacht Club social events
- Assisting visiting yachtspeople and other members of the public
- Interface with the Biddeford Harbor Master and other local officials
- General oversight of the junior sailing program
- Maintaining a safe and pleasant environment for the Club’s members, guests and visitors
- Maintaining the relationship with our tenant, the Biddeford Pool Fishermen’s Association
- Maintenance of the Club’s physical plant including the Clubhouse, docks, floats, launches, sailing program power and sail boats and general grounds
- Approving and categorizing deposits and invoices for the Club’s bookkeeper as well as making daily bank deposits of the club’s receipts
This is a hands-on position and the General Manager is expected to be on the premises and on the water during the active season. Seamanship and small boat handling skills are a requirement to maintain safety at the Club and on the surrounding waters. Although a seasonal full-time position, the months of June through September comprise the period of most intense activity with some minor responsibilities in the off season to complete the opening and closing of the club, assist in the financial reporting and to secure staff for the next season. Position requires holding a minimum of a U.S. Coast Guard issued 50 Ton Master’s license. EMT Certification is a plus.
Employment will begin May 1, 2009 with a one month training/orientation period with full-time responsibilities beginning on June 1, 2009. In subsequent years the position is full-time between May 1 and October 31, and involves a limited commitment between November 1st and April 30th; to prepare necessary paperwork for the bookkeeper and hire and prepare staff for the next season. Housing is included adjacent to the Club on a seasonal or year round basis. Salary is predicated on equivalent salaried positions in Maine, and will be commensurate with the applicant’s relevant experience. Initial contract will run to May 1, 2010. Subsequent contracts may be multi-year.
Send cover letter and resume to:
Donald W. Stever
K&L | Gates
599 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10022-6030
Print | Email
This job listing notice is courtesy of the New England Club Managers Association Executive Career Services (ECS) Committee.
Questions regarding this job listing may be sent to the NECMA Executive Career Services Chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To post your club job opening here on our site, please submit a JOB OPENING POSTING REQUEST FORM.
NECMA Members: For email notices of newly posted job openings, please join the
NECMA ECS Job Openings Notices Opt-in Group. Go to the Member Directory - "My Profile" tab.
PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
To comply with CMAA Code of Ethics and the NECMA Job Opening Web Posting Policy, the NECMA Executive Career Services (ECS) Chairperson shall verify that the NECMA Member manager of the club with the opening, if any, has knowledge of the job search before we post a job opening on our web site.
Copyright © 1997-2013 New England Club Managers Association. All rights reserved.