||EXECUTIVE CAREER SERVICES (ECS) |
JOB OPENING LISTING
Boyd Holk, CCM, ECS Chairman
tel (617) 266-5600 fax (617) 266-5554
BLUE HILL COUNTRY CLUB, Canton (Boston), Massachusetts
GENERAL MANAGER/CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
Blue Hill Country Club, located about 30 miles southwest of downtown Boston, is a member owned, family oriented, full-service country club of approximately 300 members. The club features a newly renovated 27 holes of championship golf. Eugene “Skip” Wogan, one of golf’s premier course architects of the Classic Period, designed the main course in 1925. Blue Hill Country Club hosted the PGA Championship in 1956 and was the Ping/Welch stop on the LPGA Tour from 1991-1997. Other amenities at the club include an Olympic size pool, two tennis courts, practice facilities and a full service clubhouse capable of serving parties of up to 350 people. Annual Gross revenues are $5.5 million, with almost $2 million dollars in food and beverage due in large part to the exceptional banquets/parties sponsored by the club.
The General Manager/COO is responsible for the total profit and loss management of the entire operation. Applicants must be hands-on; exceptionally member focused and have a record of significant accomplishments in clubhouse and food and beverage management. A college degree and a CCM designation are preferred.
Compensation: $130,000 - $150,000 commensurate with experience and qualification – will include a performance bonus opportunity, and executive perks.
John Sibbald Associates
7733 Forsyth Blvd.
St. Louis, Missouri 63105
GENERAL MANAGER/CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
Blue Hill Country Club
REPORTS TO: President through the Board of Directors
SUPERVISES: All Department Heads
THE CANDIDATE SHOULD HAVE:
1. A minimum of 8-10 years of progressively more responsible club management positions resulting in his/her present situation being that of a General Manager/Chief Operating Officer of a highly regarded country club. (An outstanding Assistant General Manager may also be considered.)
2. Sound overall financial management and administrative skills with particular strengths in the internal controls, financial controls, general accounting, budgeting, management information, and planning areas.
3. Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to direct, coordinate and control all facets of a full service country club including a golf course,
pro shop, clubhouse, tennis facility and swimming pool complex.
4. A solid grasp of marketing and sales with specific experience related to promoting club memberships and increasing banquet sales/revenue.
5. A professional career “track record” of achievement and relative employment stability – not a record of job movement every two to three years.
6. An especially strong set of professional credentials in the broad food and beverage areas, including a la carte dining, banquets, special programs and events. Private functions are of great import to this club.
7. Strong communication skills with the distinct ability to function effectively before a wide variety of groups and forums. Personal visibility is a must. However, employing electronic communication to maintain a regular dialogue with the staff, Board of Directors and members is a very important part of the General Manager’s responsibilities as well.
8. An overriding sense of quality consciousness that pervades every part of the club’s operations, both within and outside the clubhouse. This includes most importantly a well-selected, competently trained, high quality, courteous and efficient staff. The need is for an accomplished team builder.
9. A positive, upbeat attitude combined with a sense of humor and the ability to work effectively at all levels of the organization.
THE CANDIDATE SHOULD BE:
1. A take-charge person. Highly visible to the membership and staff alike, approachable, mature, and well rounded as a manager. A problem solver, who can effectively administer the affairs of the club and represent it to its various publics.
2. Able to effectively use the Board as a sounding body and raise issues with the Board of a policy nature, presenting alternatives as well as advantages and disadvantages. An enthusiastic supporter of Board decisions.
3. Able to build a cohesive management team, one, which functions well on behalf of the membership as well as with mutual respect for each other.
4. A creative individual who has a record of developing and executing new ideas and concepts.
5. Capable of a high degree of initiative and resourcefulness in directing the activities of a country club; able to present a consummately professional image to the staff, membership, and the general public.
6. Decisive, a good delegator, but one who also follows up as necessary on what is delegated.
7. A hands-on manager. A doer with great drive, energy and staying power who through personal example encourages others to get things done. Committed, possesses a strong work ethic and knows when to be seen, regardless of day or time.
8. An individual who possesses a touch of class and appropriate charisma, and is of the highest personal and professional integrity.
9. A college graduate, with Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation being viewed as highly desirable.
This job listing notice is courtesy of the New England Club Managers Association Executive Career Services (ECS) Committee.
Questions regarding this job listing? Please email NECMA Executive Career Services Chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org .
To post your club job opening here on our site, please submit a JOB OPENING POSTING REQUEST FORM
NECMA Members: For email notices of newly posted job openings, please join the
NECMA ECS Job Openings Notices Opt-in Group. Go to the Member Directory - "My Profile" tab.
PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
To comply with CMAA Code of Ethics and the NECMA Job Opening Web Posting Policy, the NECMA Executive Career Services (ECS) Chairperson will need to verify that the NECMA Member manager of the club with the opening, if any, has knowledge of the job search before we post a job opening on our web site.
Copyright © 1997-2013 New England Club Managers Association. All rights reserved.