executive career services (ecs)
job opening listing
Boyd Holk, ccm, ecs chairman
tel (617) 266-5600 fax (617) 266-5554
Shelter Harbor Golf Club, Charlestown, Rhode Island
Shelter Harbor Golf Club is a private golf club (established 2004) in southern Rhode Island featuring one of the top golf courses in the state and a stunning traditional shingled clubhouse with views over Block Island Sound and the woodlands surrounding the Club. It has quickly attracted a geographically diverse membership of over 300, and the membership will not be permitted to exceed 370. The Club’s dining operation is extensive, with indoor and screened porch dining capacity for 140 people. The outside grass terrace can be fitted with a tent to hold 240. The state-of-the-art kitchen can handle a full array of dining requirements, and includes a one-of-a-kind charcoal grill handcrafted by the legendary Bern’s Steakhouse, Tampa, Florida. The clubhouse has the flexibility to hold smaller functions in several private rooms.
The Shelter Harbor Golf Club is committed to the highest of culinary standards. The objective is to achieve a balance between high-quality, traditional club fare with creative taste experiences and a more contemporary, sophisticated cuisine. The menu should cover a range of tastes from the most basic to the more curious.
Emphasis is on procuring the highest quality of ingredients including fresh, seasonal local produce and seafood, artesianal breads/ cheeses, and superior poultry and meats. The goal is to obtain the finest market products available and to adjust our menu to reflect this ever-changing array of flavors.
The intent of the Club's Food and Dining operation is to become the most coveted dining destination in Rhode Island's South County.
Desired Qualifications of the Executive Chef:
The most important qualifications for the successful applicant will be an unyielding passion for excellence in culinary preparation and presentation along with a genuine commitment to satisfying the diverse requirements of the Club’s members in a manner that makes dining at Shelter Harbor a memorable experience.
The candidate should be a highly-respected, seasoned professional who can demonstrate both relevant qualifications and experience, preferably including tenure as an Executive Chef or several years’ experience as a Sous Chef in the kind of demanding environment created by a quality restaurant, exclusive club or similar operation. The ability to recruit, hire, and train staff is vital, as is the ability to work well with a high-quality team of professionals heading the various areas of the Club’s operation.
Shelter Harbor expects that its Executive Chef will be an effective leader who will develop and maintain a professional team committed to excellence in every aspect of the dining experience. The position requires comfort with:
- Operational budgets
- Food costs and gross profit
- Inventory controls and purchasing methods, with the flexibility for varying products and yields.
- Sanitation codes and ability to manage proper sanitation conduct within all food operations.
- Organization of the culinary department and ability to maintain strict guidelines for servicing and maintaining equipment.
Reports on a daily basis to the Assistant Manager and Food and Beverage Manager. Reports on a more formal basis to the General Manager. The Club also has a Food Committee to help ensure clear communication of between the Club staff and the membership on the dining experience. Essential Functions of the position will include (but will not be limited to) the following:
- Consult with Assistant Manager and Food & Beverage Director on menu development for a la carte dining, golf tournaments, special events and private functions.
- Supervise daily production for food quality, appearance and safety in all food service areas including employee cafeteria.
- Provide tastings for service staff, management team and Food Committee for each menu change and weekly specials.
- Establish relationships with purveyors and supervise purchasing for quality, pricing, etc.
- · Create and adhere to all operating budgets, which include sales, food, labor and overhead costs.
- · Establish appropriations budgets for equipment needs for kitchen, on-course food and beverage cart and employee cafeteria.
- · Determine menu pricing and price changes in conjunction with management staff.
Fulltime year-round position based on 9 months of operation. Vacations to be scheduled in the off-season.
Salary open: dependent on ability and experience. Full benefits.
Resumes along with a cover letter can be e-mailed, faxed, or mailed to the attention of Robert C. Pescatore, CCM, General Manager.
Shelter Harbor Golf Club
One Golf Club Drive
Charlestown, RI 02813
Fax: (401) 322-9700
Phone: (401) 322-0600
Questions regarding this job listing?
Please email NECMA Executive Career Services Chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This job listing courtesy of the New England Club Managers Association Executive Career Services (ECS) Committee.
PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL